Tuesday 25 September 2012

I Think We're Alone Now

It's definitely just the
two of us here - right?
First Harry, then Kate and William, and now The Queen.  You think 'what goes on tour, stays on tour' and your mates take a picture of you with your tadger out and send it to everyone.  You think that you're on a private balcony and someone takes a photo with a long lens and sells it to the papers.  You think you're having a private conversation and it gets reported.

What a nightmare it must be.  Imagine that you can't enjoy the sun on your skin or perhaps feel a little frisky in the sun with your loved one without someone desperate to take a photo and make money out of it.  Imagine not feeling totally sure that your conversation is not going to be shared with the rest of the world.  I was going to say imagine not being able to get your tackle out for the enjoyment of your mates but I don't feel I'm qualified to comment on how wonderful that appears to feel for vast swathes of men.  The stories I have heard from friends who played club cricket and rugby about how waving your willy about, or tucking it between your legs, for the entertainment of others is so marvellously amusing still mystify me.....  Instead I would say imagine not being able to enjoy a night out without fear of it being broadcast to a waiting world.

We are all at risk of this to a much lesser degree - most of us probably have pictures published on Facebook that we'd rather the world didn't see, have said things that have gone on to be told to others that we would have preferred to keep private, or have been caught out in more - ahem - intimate moments (see The Sound Of.....).  

The guidance to avoid all of this of course is to not do anything that could possibly get us into trouble or be misconstrued.  Therefore Kate and William should not be a young couple on holiday, Harry not a bloke having a laugh with his mates and the Queen should not ask a question.  

I'm not a subscriber to 'Majesty Magazine', but I do imagine what this must feel like for them as people.  Watching what has gone on over the past few weeks has made me very grateful for the freedom to cock-up, trip-over, and have fun that I have.  I intend to do more of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soundtrack: I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany (you need to watch this video!)




No comments:

Post a Comment